Skip to main content

Blog Episode 27: LEGO Is a Fucking Joke Now...




You know, some people will say that I have infantile tendencies, but now and again I would often revisit my childhood and just glamor over the bygone memories that had come to pass, especially during the 2000s when everything was (might I say it once again) PEACEFUL, and LEGO is one of those memories. I don't know why, but ever since I was a kid, there was something about owning a LEGO set that felt like royalty to me. It was like fucking owning expensive jewelry. From the very good quality plastic, to the very recognizable logo itself, there's something about LEGO, it's very presence, being just a luxury to your time. Even catching a commercial of one of their LEGO sets is a luxury in itself, it was like a fucking shooting star for me.

I'd remember very vaguely seeing LEGO sets now and then at flee markets or garage sales, but what really got me into them was YouTube at the time. Yeah, the once respectable site before talentless, cancerous, woke retards came to be, was home to very memorable videos like Keyboard Cat, Salad Fingers, Your Favorite Martian, and of course, numerous amounts of LEGO content. In fact, my history with LEGO all began with YouTube itself. I'd remember coming across these stop motion videos that had the word LEGO in them, and immediately it peaked my interest. Instantly I can still remember the videos I stumbled upon as a kid that I used to watch on the day to day basis. Granted my parents strongly opposed the idea of 7 year old me going on YouTube as they thought it's a bad influence on my psyche, however I didn't listen and still watched on as I toured the site, clicking on LEGO videos in the suggestions part of the page, as each suggestion got better and better than the last.

I remember having a fun time, laughing at memorable videos like The Elevator, the premise where the whole video is about multiple LEGO Star Wars characters from different movie timelines sharing an elevator, and even one scene where Jabba The Hutt crushes all the people in the elevator at the end. There was another video I remembered being called Watching You Pee, a video that made me laugh so fucking hard to the point where I couldn't go to sleep. The title is self explanatory, it's about a guy taking a piss, and another guy, one urinal away from him says, "I'M WATCHING YOU PEEEEEEE". Then there is this classic LEGO Star Wars video where it opens up with a stormtrooper on guard duty, and C-3P0, who I think, was dressed as Darth Vader, and begins to mess with this stormtrooper until one scene, the stormtrooper gets irritated and mistakes the real Darth Vader for the imposter one, and hits him with a shovel, shortly before Vader, put the stormtrooper in his place. Then later there's a scene Boba Fett approaches a cardboard cut out of a LEGO stormtrooper minifigure, asking him for the time, shortly after getting impatient and blasting the cardboard with his laser gun. 

However my most favorite LEGO stop motion video out of all, and the one video that got me into LEGO for good is a video which is now (sadly) deleted called Yoda Saves Anakin. It was a short video, but I remember it started out with the soundtrack from Revenge of the Sith called, "Anakin vs Obi Wan", as Anakin walks up to Count Dooku and challenges him to a duel until he gets defeated and captured, and then Yoda shows up to the party and they get into another duel together. Then I remember Dooku getting into a lightning duel with Yoda, and Yoda deflecting it with his lightsaber until ultimately defeating Dooku and saving Anakin in the end. This very video, for some reason, is what got me into LEGO. Seeing all the pretty minifigures, and all the nice and colorful pieces put together in that video is what really caught my eye and made me develop a taunting passion for LEGO (and by "taunting", I'll get right into that in a minute). 

Update: For over a decade, I have been searching for this video and I was browsing on YouTube recently to view my childhood stop motion videos, and I finally fucking found it! Holy shit! The nostalgia, it hurts!


Well lucky for me at that time, it was two weeks before my birthday in the year of 2007, and I then begged my parents for my first LEGO set as I wanted that to be my birthday present. Birthday came, and I had just turned 8 years old and I remember going to Chuck E. Cheese on Halloween, dressed as Anakin Skywalker as I wielded my Force Action Lightsaber, a toy that was made by Hasbro at the time, and I'd remember anticipating my Birthday gift, as my mind was fixated on that thought throughout the entire time being there, as it took focus away from the countless arcade games that I've played with my hard earned Chuck E. Cheese coins. Well anyways, as the day went on, we finally took the trip home and I remember very vividly, sitting on the living room floor as they wished me happy birthday, handing me a birthday bag. In it was a toy R2-D2. I remembered it being 30th anniversary edition and it came with a coin. The toy made sound effects too when you pressed on its grill as it causes the LED in the head to light up.

Though, somewhat impressed, I then looked in the bag again and was fucking shocked when I saw it. There it was... It was the 7655 LEGO Clone Trooper Battle Pack, and I remembered being so lividly excited when I saw it. Just seeing the package and hearing the heavenly contents jingling from within, I was experiencing the time of my life! It came with four clone troopers, one being the commander, another one being a shock trooper, and the other two being regular clone troopers. When I was building the set, as I was still new to Star Wars at the time, I used to think these were stormtroopers, so I thought they were the bad guys while little did I know these were actual clone troopers. I thanked my parents and immediately opened the package right away.

When I first took the contents out of the glossy box, seeing the very beautiful glossy pieces within the bags was the most eye-candy inducing experience I have ever went through. I was a bit surprised that the minifigures and the LEGO pieces themselves were very small, as I legitimately thought in the videos that I was seeing, the LEGO figures would be twice the size of a LEGO minifigure, being around the size of a whiskey shot-glass, but nevertheless, I was overall very happy. I remember building the speeder and the turret station, as I watched Empire Strikes Back on the TV screen in the living room and the rest was history. 

As months went by, I remember being fascinated by more and more LEGO sets as days and weeks went by. I remember fantasizing about them throughout school, and everyday, when I went home from school, alongside with U.B. Funkeys, I would frequently browse LEGO's website and oh my fucking God, it was like a wet dream come fuckin' true. This was the site that I truly remember as a kid.


Holy fucking shit motherfucker! That fucking hit the spot. The interface of the site just bleeds of fucking nostalgia, the colors, the layout, the simplicity, all the sets on display, everything was done right and all of the right notes that this site hit, created a beautiful, yet nostalgic chord. I may sound like I'm making a big deal over this, but this is one of the most important building blocks to ever make up my childhood, and it couldn't get any better than this. Everyday, this was the site that I would see, and I would hover my mouse over the products page, and just look in amazement at all the sets that the themes had to offer, especially the Star Wars section of the page, don't even get me started on that part. 

Everyday, I would devote myself to the products page of the Star Wars section of that site, as I would just window shop all the big sets that it had to offer and let me tell you, this shit was the fucking golden age of LEGO. You had the Imperial Star Destroyer, the Naboo Starfighter, the Imperial Landing Craft, and most importantly... The fucking magnum opus itself... The fucking LEGO 7662 MTT Trade Federation set. Holy fucking shit, this is what fucking wet dreams were made out of and I remember seeing that commercial for the fucking thing. It was the most taunting thing that I've ever experienced as a child. Never in my life have I begged so hard for something that I've always wanted in my life. If there was something that you've always wanted as a kid so badly, and you've never gotten it and you are filled with so much immense regret that you could've gotten it as a kid, that would be this fucking set. I remember just seeing the commercial for this set in the videos tab and just wishing to fucking God that I'd get this set for Christmas, that's how much I've wanted this set so badly. 


Seeing the commercial was just a dream come true, just the idea of pitting the Naboo Starfighter and the MTT against each other into an all out battle, as you offloaded the spring-loaded missile to destroy all the battle droids on this flat surface was something that I've always wanted to do as a kid! And I kid you not, I even had a green play table that I used to put my LEGO set in, and everyday as I played with my minifigures, I would just imagine having this dream of a set to sit upon the surface of that table, trying to create a reenactment of the commercial that I've just seen... The set came with around 20 something battle droids, making this one of the sets with the most minifigures to ever be included. The entire set itself would come in at a little over 1,000 pieces. To this very day I still want this fucking set, however it's a shame that it's so expensive now. This fucking beast of a set back in 2007 costed just a merely, whopping, $100! And you may say that's still a lot of money, but compared with the chump change shit that we're getting now, this fucking set would be in UCS collectors territory, that's how big of a behemoth, this set really was! 

So then it was Christmas Eve of 2007 and that day when I was in school at the time, I remember being so fucking excited for Christmas as the thought of a LEGO MTT set sitting under the Christmas tree plagued my head, distracting me from my studies at school throughout the whole day. I remembered it being a Friday night, and I was just so excited as I headed to bed, just being overall excited for the present wrap massacre that is about to come and then I went to sleep. It was around six o'clock in the fucking morning, I got out of bed and I remember running to the living room. Immediately my eyes were then greeted to four presents under the Christmas tree, all wrapped in a beautiful, sky-blue color with cloud patterns on it, as the highlights bounced off the surface of its glossy finish onto my eyes. I didn't hesitate to tear off the wrapper for the first present that I saw, and it was a battle droid battle pack. 

Holy shit!


I said to myself. It was another LEGO set, perhaps the closest thing that I'll ever get to having that MTT set. I unwrapped another and it was ANOTHER clone trooper battle pack! Then I unwrapped the last two sets and it was the Naboo Starfighter and the Y-Wing Fighter set! Even though I didn't get the MTT set, this was more than enough for me to get my foot into the door of investing into this wonderful toy! I remember just spending all day, building the Naboo Starfighter, and when I was done with building everything, I reenacted what I saw in the commercial of that MTT set, and deployed the missile of the Naboo Starfighter onto the surface of the table, as it knocked over all the minifigures that I've stood up on the table! From then on, I was hooked onto LEGO and it would spark a memorable, three years of my childhood.


Throughout my journey into the world of (supposed) LEGO collecting, I would binge-watch LEGO Star Wars stop motion videos back in the good old year of 2009, as I would sneak onto my parent's Windows XP laptop and tried to watch as many stop motion videos as I can, before getting caught by my parents, as I was prohibited from browsing internet sites on my computer, and also having time limits as well. One series of videos that I fuckin' loved watching and would binge watch every single day, and to this day, it brings back memories, as viewing it now is like viewing my childhood, being replayed through the lens of a very admirable youtuber; was a guy by the name of pizzamovies. Sadly he doesn't upload anymore as he stopped uploading back in 2013, but holy shit, this was the fucking channel I would binge watch as a kid. His videos consisted of stop motion animated clones going to war against battle droids, as each video told a story, with some videos showcasing the clones losing some battles, and then other times, the tide turns as reinforcements would arrive obliterating the battle droids all out together, in epic and bombastic fashion, as hundreds of LEGO pieces are being blown to bits, all over the place, all the while being overlayed with crudely drawn laser effects, effectively doing its job by complimenting the story, as the video in it of itself was the most immersive, blood-pumping, action filled video that I've ever witnessed as a child...



As I was viewing these videos, I would began to get filled with so much passion for LEGO Star Wars, as I remember, with my minifigs readily available on my desk in front of me, binge-watch and rewatch these videos over and over again, while simultaneously playing with my minifigs on my desk. It was as if I was in this kid's house, as I was playing along with him, that's how immersive these sets of videos were. I would spend almost hours watching these videos, and whenever I would hit a dead end, and there are no more videos to be played, I would just sift through his older videos at random and just rewatch them over and over again, as I would take my sets apart, and set up a battlefield, as I would reenact the full out war on my desk, right in front of me. These videos were the most epic sets of videos that I have ever watched as a kid, and seeing the fact that this guy had a fucking clone army and a droid army, all topped with vehicles, including the LEGO MTT, as hundreds of battle droids were being dumped, one by one on the table, all the while being obliterated by crudely drawn laser effects, it made me pester my parents even more, why they didn't get me those sets, as my dream was to have a huge LEGO army at my disposal, as I wanted to recreate my favorite scenes from various stop motion videos and Star Wars movies right at the tips of my fingers. 


The videos may be terribly dated by today's standards, but seeing this as a kid who was deprived of a LEGO army, AND LEGO sets in general, was a wet fucking dream in it of itself. And it wasn't just pizzamovies who made videos like these, there were other fucking youtubers, who also had armies of clones and battle droids going to war with each other, as these youtubers had all of them in the fuckin' hundreds. There was one fucking video that I wish I could revisit, but because this is 2022, and 2008 was a long fucking time ago, it will probably be hard to find. Anyways, there was a video of a guy who had a massive clone and droid army, set on these baseplates, spread throughout the table as he would just record himself on camera, creating an all out sequence of battles, narrating and voicing the minifigures, as the clones and battle droids blasted at each other, knocking majority of them over on the table, with the track "Anakin vs Obi-Wan" from Revenge of the Sith playing in the back. This video wasn't stop motion as it was all in real time, but even so, the video was very immersive and it really got me very excited as I would constantly replay that same video, over and over again. It was videos like these, that really sparked my imagination and interest for LEGO, as all of these videos were a recipe for envy, as I've envied every single youtuber who had all these great sets and armies back then, with 8 year old me, watching these videos with hopeful optimism that my parents will one day buy all of these sets for me as I will be able to reenact all of my favorite battles just like my favorite youtubers on the laptop screen.


Overtime however, as many months went by, my thirst for Star Wars sets and Star Wars in general would begin to die down, as I would begin to forget about the MTT set or any LEGO Star Wars set for that matter, as I mostly just focused on LEGO in it of itself, as I would just lust over all the sets that I would see on LEGO's website, and man, how fucking jealous I was. Throughout the months, getting a LEGO set was rare, as my parents rarely bought me any of them. The only time I've ever received one, was either through my Birthday or Christmas. Very rarely would I get a LEGO set on a random day of the year, so I had to either (and most likely) take apart my older sets that I've put together and just rebuild them again, or just dismantle them permanently and use my imagination, as my blistered hands scrapped itself through the sea of LEGO pieces, looking for that one fucking piece for something that I've been building at time. Other than that it was me mostly looking at YouTube videos of content creators showing off their LEGO sets, looking at crazy stop motions of other themes that I've wished I had, watching gameplay footage of LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga, as that game was a thing during my time, or just browsing LEGO's website religiously under the products page, and playing their flash games. 


I will say however, interestingly one of the LEGO videos that I've watched on YouTube was the first video that I've ever watched in my life that used the word "fuck" throughout the whole video. The video wasn't stop motion, instead it was two dickfaces playing with minifigures on live camera, as they exchanged obscenities with one another, each of them yelling it at each other too as well. It was a three part series, and throughout those three parts that I've watched, it would be the very first time that I learned what the word "fuck" really was. So you had 8 year old me, sitting in my room watching these sets of videos by this one youtuber, at FULL volume mind you, as throughout the entire video, all I'm hearing is things like, "WHAT THE FUCK", and "MOTHERFUCKER". I can imagine the face my dad was making in the other room as he was hearing all of this. I remember coming out of my room and walking up to my dad, asking him what the word "fuck" even meant, and you can already piece the rest of how that conversation actually went. 


However getting back on track, throughout the years, in terms of me getting into LEGO, getting a set was very rare, and I amassed at least one-two sets in a year, most of them coming from different themes instead of just Star Wars. Themes such as Space Police, Indiana Jones, and Bionicle. In fact the biggest set that I've ever gotten at the time was the Crystal Skull Temple from LEGO Indiana Jones for Christmas, and my balls just blew the fuck off my dick when I saw that, under my Christmas tree. It came with a very rare baseplate (which I stupidly broke by the way, and it could've been worth lots of money by now), molded specifically for that set and I remember playing with the set trying to emulate what was done in the commercial and apparently getting frustrated with the faulty mechanics that it had to offer. Like when you press down on the top part of the temple to make those three wings fold up, parts of the set would break off and I remember screaming in frustration over that. 


Other than that, not else is remembered about my experience with LEGO. My immense investment into the franchise was a like going in for the kill, only to leave empty handed. I did have a LEGO Club magazine subscription (which died by the way) which came in my mailbox, every few months, but it was just another salt in the wound for me, as it was just a catalog of all their latest lineups, showing off their new LEGO sets that they had to offer, which further taunted me, as it made me want to desperately beg my parents to get me these sets even more. Other parts of the magazine consisted of a comic book section, which entailed various portrayals of the current themes that were around during that time, and the creation section, which showcased pictures of kids showing off their custom LEGO creations, and them getting the spotlight for it by LEGO officials. Other than that, that's pretty much where my interest for this company ends. It was like a cake that you've always wanted, sitting right there in front of you, but you couldn't have any of it, as your hands and feet are bounded to the chair, you watching it being slowly eaten away by that very same person who had tied you up to the chair, taunting you. 


I didn't get that many LEGO sets, and seeing all the sets that I've always wanted in commercial form, and not getting any of them, it's what really discouraged me from sticking to LEGO any further, as isn't that the point is to buy the sets to support the company that you like? I was even so fucking desperate at one point, that I'd even called up the LEGO hotline, and wanted to try and chat with them, hoping they would give me a LEGO set, just so I could have the luxury of being in the presence of LEGO's headquarters, that's how desperate I was with them as a company. I've even participated in a survey, run by a company named Nielsen, as they've announced that you would win a LEGO set. As you can obviously tell, I've participated in that survey, hoping that by a sheer miracle that I would be one of the lucky ones to win a very giant LEGO set, however obviously, that did not come to pass. 


In 2011, it would be the last year that I've remember still being invested in LEGO, as during that time, Clone Wars was out and I was still hungry for more sets, as I've wanted to continue building a clone army. I remember going over to a friend's house, who happened to have a huge collection of fucking LEGO sets, I kid you not, my fucking LEGO boner nearly tore through my fucking pants after seeing the display of minifigures and half-broken LEGO sets strewn all about the floor, as if my friend was deeply spoiled by the vast collection of bricks, and not cherishing the fact that they were fortunate to own such great things. One of the things that I've always wanted was a LEGO Slave I (yes it's called "Slave I", not Boba Fett's Starfighter for you normie woke people out there) that was put out at the time. Seeing the fucking set in person and the features that the set had, blew me the fuck away. I remember it being $65 at the time, and I specifically remember begging my mom to buy the set for me, even to the point where my friend begged her for me as well, and she said that she'll buy me one the week after.


I remember being so fucking excited as Boba Fett is one of my favorite characters, and the idea of having a large LEGO set for the first time in awhile at that point was unfathomable! So one week had passed, and I remembered specifically asking my mom in the car if she still planned to buying me that set, and she responded with... "No"... I was taken aback by what she had just said, and then it hit me... This was one of the many times that she had lied and broke a promise with me as she had a history of doing that, and hearing that was what really hurt me that day, and I'd remember going to my room, crying because I have been lied to, that I wasn't going to get another great LEGO set that would've been in my collection, as I was still taunted by the fortunate kids who've owned more sets than me, as I was just an outcast to the community continuously for more fucking years to come. 


The most my parents ever did to me during that year was when they took me to Legoland, (it wasn't even Legoland, just a smaller version of it tucked away in a mall), as I've went on a ride with my family, and watched a LEGO movie together, as it was advertised with the gimmick of it being in "4D", as every time special effects were displayed on screen, the sprinklers and fans would begin to go off in the screening room, emulating the weather that was portrayed in the movie, as it brought itself to the audience. Admittedly, it was a very fun experience and I've always anticipated for the sprinklers to go off again at every given point in the film that called for it. At the end of screening, we were then handed like these Legoland Duplo sized bricks, promoting Legoland and then, that's that, I guess. And then here is the meat of the whole thing... The most memorable part of this whole ordeal, the shooting star of my life... The LEGO shop at the very end of this whole fiasco, and for once, I was finally treated to a LEGO set. 


My parents told me to choose whatever LEGO set that I've wanted, and at this point I thought I was fucking dreaming. For the first time and sadly the last, I was offered a chance to finally have another LEGO set in my possession. I remembered being so fucking excited, and I'd remembered frantically pacing around the store, selecting what set to have in my arsenal, and then it hit me. I'd then chose a LEGO set that had a Jedi minifigure in it, as I've always wanted a Jedi minifigure, as all the other Star Wars figures all carried blasters. And so, the last set my parents ever bought for me was Plo Koon's Starfighter, as I've chosen that set, because, like I said, I've always wanted a Jedi minifigure, as I've seen too many videos on YouTube of Jedi minifigures doing cool stunts and tricks on camera, so I've always wanted a Jedi minifigure of my own to do those exact same things as well. And so, after my mom bought me that set, she treated me to a movie theater that was inside the mall, it was Pirates of the Caribbean, and throughout the entire experience, I was fucking bored out of my mind, as my mind was fixated on the LEGO set that was in the trunk of our car at this point. When the movie was finally over, my mom took me a ride home and I ran to my room in childlike excitement as usual. And so, as I was unboxing the set, there it was, my eyes being presented to my very first Jedi minifigure, and also the first time having a lightsaber blade piece in my possession. For years, I used to find substitutes for pieces to emulate the lightsaber, granted I obviously didn't have any translucent blade piece to go within the lightsaber hilt, but nevertheless, at the time I was just using my imagination as usual, as all I could make was just a plain, solid-white, lightsaber blade. It was an experience that would go on to be the very last time my parents would ever treat me to such a treasure.


After 2011, that's when my interest for LEGO had completely died, as all the videos of these fortunate children that had an entire army of LEGO sets at hand was all just an unreachable fantasy that would never be achieved. I was in a way, subconsciously angry at my parents for continuously not buying me LEGO sets more often, and just letting all the old sets collect dust, only to then have them get taken apart due to boredom. I didn't even have enough minifigures at the time, as most of them were either taken apart or lost in the sea of LEGO pieces to come. The very last thing that I've ever did LEGO related was browsing the LEGO message boards, as its message boards were one of the strictest, most moderated sites that I've ever spent my time on. If you remember way back when I wrote a post about U.B. Funkeys, and how on their message boards, you had to be approved by a moderator to get your post shown on the forum. Yeah, take that, and replace it with trigger happy assholes, who wouldn't hesitate to reject your posts to kingdom fuckin' come. I kid you not, I wrote even the most innocuous of posts, and they still rejected me, yet all the other fucking members get to spam smiley faces and type in all caps and that's okay? How fucking fair is that!? Well anyways, surfing on the LEGO message boards was a huge no-no for me and the idea of having my posts rejected over something petty was the primary reason why I've avoided reading the message boards altogether. It was after that experience, my taste for this toy company would naturally begin to sour, as months went by, and my brain would completely retcon the thought of LEGO as a whole.  Throughout the coming years, I would forget that LEGO even existed, as my interest for that toy had died completely, as I've moved onto other things such as video games, running a forum, and creating this blog. 


According to the LEGO community, this would go on to become the dark ages of my life, a term used among message boards referring to those who'd lost interest in LEGO altogether, before eventually getting right back into it again, and that scenario was exactly what happened in my life... Then came the year of 2014, a conflicting year for me as it was the same year that was the start of my fucking OCD, and anxiety. As the years burned on, as soon as I thought the word LEGO had escaped my mind, I remember hearing about a trailer that had just dropped for a movie that sparked an interest for a toy that I haven't heard in a while. It was The LEGO Movie, and holy shit, seeing the trailer for this fucking movie had me so fucking excited again, as the child inside of me was beginning to show itself throughout viewing the trailer. I wanted to see the movie, and so when the day came when the film hit theaters, I walked to my local Cinemark and dropped some cash for a movie ticket and price gouged myself with their expensive popcorn, as I walked to the screening room, and selected a seat among the darkness in front of me, the light emitting off the vast majority of trailers being shown on screen, as it guided me to my destination, as I've sat down in my seat of choice to view the movie at last. 


After the barragement of trailers rolled by, one by one, the movie finally fuckin' started. Your typical movie logos and intros were presented at the beginning of the film draws you in through the colorful world that it presented itself, as each scene was portrayed beautiful, brick by brick. The premise of the movie is pretty simple. There is a prophecy by Morgan Freeman that a very talented master builder will defeat the evil businessman who is a segregationist, and wants to segregated all the themes throughout the movie. The movie had like this Matrix plot, and you have the cliché, "I'm not accepted by society, but deep down inside I am actually the chosen one", trope, and you have mooks that's after the main character, and you have the main character, this early 2000s evanescence chick, Batman, Morgan Freeman, and a Unicorn... Yeah, that's just about right. The main character sucks at building, but then he later unlocks his inner potential and turns out he is the chosen masterbat- I mean master builder, as the main characters look for the McGuffin before the Agent Smith clone gets it. Then it cuts to a live action scene where this son and dad talks about how segregation is bad, and then the evil Electronic Arts CEO learns that friendship is indeed magic, the end.


As I was watching the movie, I was hit with so much nostalgia once again, as the mass array of bricks presented itself on the big screen through this special ability called "master building", where the main character is like Neo from the fucking Matrix and can build anything that comes to mind instantaneously, creating one of the most breathe-taking builds to ever be presented on the big screen. The movie at the end of the day was your typical cliché kids movie, but nevertheless, it was core popcorn to the eyes, and little did I know, this very movie would subconsciously spark my interest into LEGO once again.


I remember walking out of the theater and something just hit me, a nostalgic feeling that I haven't felt in a long time. It was at that moment I wanted to feel like a fuckin' child once again... I walked to my parent's car and I was in the mood for doing some window shopping at my local grocery store, and so I've decided to pull the trigger... I had convinced my parents to drive me to my local Walmart, and so they eventually obliged. Hopefully without looking like a manchild, I walked all the way down to the toy section and looked at all the LEGO sets. Instantly, I'd began to experience all the things that I've experienced as a little kid, however this time, I had the buying power to finally grab one set off of the shelf... I was heavily into Batman at the time as I really admired its rogues gallery, and so the first set I ever got was this bat helicopter set that came with Man-Bat. I was so excited, holding the LEGO set in my hand in the car, as for the first time I got to decide what LEGO set I wanted to buy, and when I came home I rushed to my room and opened the box as quick as possible. In it, I was immediately hit with a whiff of nostalgia, as that chemical odor that came from the box hit my nose so vigorously, as my eyes were painted with the glossed finish of the LEGO pieces incased in their numbered bags. I couldn't breathe...


Around 20 minutes, within that amount of time, I had finally completed the LEGO set, as right in front of me, was my entire childhood told to me within hundreds of little plastic pieces once again. Those 20 minutes would go on to start the fire for many months to come, as I would grow to love LEGO again, as I would chalk up allowance money to buy the sets of my dreams. Throughout 2015, I would continuously buy more LEGO sets, as my money aimed for the $70 to $100 range of sets, sometimes even over $100, just so I could get my hands on some 1,000 piece sets and doing so, I have finally succeeded in building up a pretty decent collection for myself. My very first 1,000 piece set was the 2014 Imperial Star Destroyer. I remember just saving up $150 for that set, and loaning my parents the money to buy that set for me off of Amazon. I remember being so fucking excited, my first 1,000 piece set is finally in my possession. As I waited for an agonizing 5 days, the UPS truck had arrived at the house, and I remembered the delivery guy, as he handed me the package, wished me the best of luck with my experience. I rushed to the kitchen table after that, and immediately started building. 


As I've opened the box, inside I was met with numerous numbered bags of all the pieces that came with the set, all of them being in their high quality, and glossy glory. As I've unwrapped the first bag, I was met with two stormtroopers, and a Darth Vader figure. The idea of me getting a Darth Vader minifigure was so fucking amazing as it was one of those LEGO minifigures that I've always wanted. I remember it taking me around 5 hours to build the entire set, as I sat at the table in the quiet, empty kitchen, rattling around the pieces in the numbered bags, as one by one, each piece clicked together like an unfinished puzzle that is to finally be finished. Around 10 o'clock in the evening, the set was finally completed and I brought it to my room, displaying it on my table, like it was a trophy, as I laid in bed, burying myself under the covers in satisfaction as my fixated eyes on the set eventually faded into a daze of dreams to come.


Throughout the year of 2015 and 2016, I would go on to relentlessly collect the allowance money to build my LEGO collection, as more and more sets were being bought on a bi-weekly basis. I would eventually have a very large shelf in my room to display all of them, as I was finally building a collection that I've always wanted, and the dream was just getting started. As I was collecting the toys that was on my childhood's hitlist, I would later join the LEGO community and learn that I wasn't the only one who was into LEGO at the current age that I was. I would go on to become familiar with terms such as TFOL (Teenage Fans of LEGO) and the most popular of the group, AFOL (Adult Fans of LEGO). Even though I wasn't an adult, I would frequent the site eurobricks.com, as I would observe the many creations that these adult fans of LEGO had to offer. I found it ridiculous however that you needed to be an adult to join the site, but nevertheless, I was mostly the spectator of that site, as I would just read the posts of many members of the forum. I even made friends with some of the members however on their YouTube channels and even started a conversation with them. 

As the years grew by, I would also follow many youtubers in the wake of my LEGO sweet tooth craving. such as Just2Good and MandRProductions. The latter of which I mostly watched, if I wanted to learn some trivia about LEGO, view the historic sets that was showcased on his channel, and many news and rumors that he would discuss on his channel as well, keeping me up to date with the latest sets and future sets to come out, as I would watch his channel on the day-to-day basis.. It was interesting seeing the old LEGO sets that came out in the past being showcased and unboxed on camera, like a frozen time capsule, as most of them are LEGO Star Wars sets from 2005 - 2007, which he also states are the golden years of LEGO sets as well. As I was watching his videos, I'd immediately began to notice a pattern however... The more news videos that I would watch on his channel, the more I'd began to notice something tragic happening within the company, and at that point I was beginning to see its downfall a mile away.

News video after news video, as the months and years went by, I would begin to become shocked in disbelief at the choices and decisions being made at big L's headquarters in Denmark. As I could've been a young teenager who wanted to revisit his childhood, anticipating for an upgraded, remake of a set that I've missed out as a kid, as my wants for retired sets had gone up in price, I was instantly disappointed, as the remakes of those sets I have been begging for had been nothing but a watered down, joke of a set. When I was a kid, I've always wanted the 2010 Clone Turbo tank, as it was a huge upgrade from the 2005 Turbo Tank. And then I saw the Turbo Tank that came out in 2015, and I was in some much disappointment, as my eyes furiously glanced at the lazily built, lazily designed set, as it opted for a smaller, kiddy look instead of a more realistic, film accurate approach to the set... "What the fuck is this!" I exclaimed, as I took my complaint to the comment section, as everyone else agreed, exclaiming about the baffling decision LEGO had made about downgrading their set and making it smaller, to the fucking point where it looked like a fuckin' microfighter at that point. After being presented with such disappointment, a pattern would soon follow, as other future LEGO sets would suffer from this same fate as well, as all the large, previous legendary sets that had been out in the market before, had now been a remade mockery of its former self, and it was because of that decision that my liking for LEGO had began to decline because of that. 

And this is where the title of this blog post is now relevant after this long epic story that I have just been spewing out. As the more I watched videos of the newer sets coming out, for some fucking reason, every set has become fucking watered down! Throughout the later years, I would come to learn that LEGO has been making a lot of bad decisions, and this is where the downfall of my liking for LEGO would come to fruition once again. This is something that isn't much talked about, and I don't know why anybody is calling out LEGO for this stupid fucking move that they've been making for years. Apparently, many of the recent LEGO sets have become SMALLER! Meaning that majority of the LEGO sets that you're getting now are literally half the size of sets that used to come out 10 years earlier. 

For example I've noticed this with the LEGO MTT set, as there was a remake of the set released in 2014. I remembered seeing pictures and reviews for this set, as I was so excited to buy this set and I was met with so much fucking disappointment. How did we go from a set like this in 2007:


Which is a behemoth of a fucking set by the way, and would make any kid shit their pants if they were to get this fucking UCS level of a set with so much attention to detail, to a fucking watered down, set like this:


WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MCDONALDS KIDS MEAL, BABY, KINTERGARDEN FUCKING SHIT!? This set literally took a 180 in terms of progressing, as you would think each set would get better and better right? But no, each set gets fucking worse, becoming fucking smaller and smaller, and many of these fucking dickheads are defending this shit! Like people are not talking about this phenomenon, they are just sweeping this shit under the rug, as they'll just simply label you as "nostalgia blind". No, it's not being fucking nostalgia blind, it's called "facts". Another example is the thematic picture for this blog post, the 2012, 9493 X-Wing Starfighter:


Verses the LEGO 75218, X-Wing Fighter:


Like did the executive team run out of money when they made this fucking decision. And LEGO acts as if this shit is fucking normal. No motherfucker, I want the old, bigger sets, not this McDonalds garbage. And on top of that, they're price gouging the consumers with this bullshit as well. I understand that there's inflation and prices will skyrocket overtime, but at least still make the LEGO sets bigger, but with higher prices. That defeats the purpose of inflation, if you're going to stay within that old price margin, but making the sets smaller. This is fucking bullshit, and this is the sole reason why that I've gotten out of LEGO altogether now. I don't know about other themes, but LEGO Star Wars sets are dead to me, like they are nowhere near as great as they used to be. I do appreciate that they had a 20th anniversary line that they've released in 2019, however that's were my line ends with LEGO in terms of Star Wars sets being concerned. However, the idea of LEGO returning to the 2005 era of sets isn't going to happen, and it seems like LEGO themselves are just falling apart because of this.


Even their minifigures aren't as exciting anymore. Remember when you opened up a LEGO set back in the early 2000s and you were met with minifigures like this:


There's something about that minifigure that just screams simplicity. Like it screamed childlike simplicity, yet something about its design just screamed LEGO. However, the minifigures that are made nowadays are so overly detailed, to the point where it doesn't feel like LEGO anymore. Comparing that figure that I've shown earlier to a figure like this:




It doesn't feel like LEGO anymore. Throughout the years, LEGO would go on to add cheekbones and other unnecessary details to their faces, and it makes the figures look hideous, and unchildlike to look at. Isn't the purpose of LEGO is to be simple and immerse the child into using their imagination, and envisioning their favorite characters being portrayed in LEGO form. Like for example, the old Darth Vader minifigure just screamed LEGO, but now the new Darth Vader minifigure looks like a fucking roboticized cow. Another reason why LEGO chose the simplicity route was also to make it cute for the child to handle and look at. No child would find a figure like this, cute:


If you're going to put so much detail into the face and everything, adding unnecessary cheekbones and wrinkles to the figure, then you might as well just buy the action figure of Han Solo by himself, because nothing about this screams simple. 

Throughout the years, I would slowly lose respect for LEGO as a company, as they've just made bad decisions after bad decisions. All the big sets that you've used to buy for under $100 are now fucking UCS level prices. It also doesn't help that LEGO has started to drink the environment friendly Kool-Aid, as they're claiming to stop the use of oil and ABS plastic in their bricks, all because Shell bitched about oil use being bad, so LEGO had to bend the knee to Shell because of that shit. Now they're going to resort to biodegradable plants, and you wanna know how that's going to turn out? The bricks won't be of respectable high quality anymore, as they're going to look like fucking MegaBloks or Kreos now. No more will we have glossy, high quality, fingerprint inducing bricks, as now, every brick is going to look like cheap, dollar store bricks. Mark my words, this move is going to get the same reception that the New Coke got when they changed their ingredients.

But because they're a multi-billion dollar company, and like every other WOKE fucking respectable company out there, they have to resort to cutting costs and corners, to price-gouge the consumer into building up their money-honey pot. Everything about the company now is just so watered down. Even their website is just watered down, nothing's simple anymore. The navigation on their site is confusing now. No more is the "products" navigation tab, now it's replaced with this thing called, "Kids Zone". Before, the old layout would have the products tab, and in it would be a vast array of themes, and when you clicked on your theme of choice, you are taken to the page that presents itself in a uniform, yet unique way, as all of them had the "Creations" section, "Videos" section, and "Products" section. It also doesn't help the fact that their message board had shutdown in 2017, meaning that the site is now just a soulless, corporate advertisement that cares about making money and not about the members of the community.

I'll admit, I bought a LEGO set back in 2021, it was an AT-AT walker. With that, I actually took the time to sign up for a VIP membership at the LEGO shop in one of the malls that I live 10 minutes away, and I currently have their card in my wallet. I ended up returning the AT-AT walker, because the set looked watered down as usual, and I don't like the idea of paying a used laptop price for a set that could've been bigger and CHEAPER like in the past, but that's not the point. I would now and then get alerts in my email about new VIP exclusive sets that I have the privilege to buy, and I'll tell you this right now... None of the sets intrigued me, all of them are just bland and boring knick-knacks that even adults wouldn't be into. Like wow, a valentine's day heart, yeah, like that would totally be interesting to display on your shelf, get the fuck out of here with that shit. 

Overall, LEGO is dead to me right now and really, I have no desire to buy LEGO sets anymore. Gone are the days of massive sets released back in 2007, with its simple minifigures and the spoiling of battle packs that they've released during that time as well. Instead LEGO went corporate, all because they've decided to bend the knee to Shell, and LEGO had to bend that knee because Shell would be mad, and you wouldn't want to make Shell mad, would you? Now, ABS plastic LEGO are going to be no more, and instead we'll get, cheap, Tonka, MegaBloks, Barbie Doll plastic bricks instead. And what's sad is that people are defending this and aren't even batting an eye. I can't be the only one who notices this, well if I am the only one who does, then consider this post as your wake up call. Something needs to be done. The LEGO sets are literally a fucking rip-off, these are like scalper prices at this fucking point. 

I've even noticed something about these so-called proclaimed big LEGO sets that have been released pretty recently, that they've used 1,000 smaller pieces instead of 1,000 larger ones. What the fuck is that? So for example, the X-Wing set from 2012, if you've noticed, they've used larger pieces for the wings. I know this because I bought the Resistance Starfighter, which is basically a darker, carbon copy of the X-Wing, and it felt more representable to display on your shelf. The new X-Wing however used smaller pieces which is fucking ridiculous and makes it look like a fucking kids meal toy. You might as well make it a fucking microfighter at this fucking point. What the fuck were they thinking? It's like LEGO lost its touch, and it shows through their recent video games. Their older games were more simple, with the player and the bosses having hearts, and the levels being progressed in a linear, simple, yet fun, action and combat oriented fashion. Then the Skywalker Saga came out and everything in that game is the opposite of the legacy that previous LEGO games presented , making the fucking game as complicated as a Skyrim game.

Overall, LEGO is just dead to me right now. Gone are the glory days of great things to come. LEGO was like fucking Disney to me, something about their company just screamed magic and imagination to me, with their simple minifigures and satisfying to build, LEGO sets. Just having ANYTHING LEGO related, like even having a LEGO keychain or toothpaste, meant the world to me, because I knew I was holding a luxury toy line in my hand. I even had a fucking LEGO edition Eggo Waffle pack, and just having that meant a fuckin' lot to me. Now, everything to me now, just feels dead. Yeah, I might go to my local Target now and then and just pick out one set that at least looks decent to me and might be worthy enough to have on my shelf, but even then, those decent LEGO sets will probably cost a fortune to own now. It is of those reasons why this rant was made. I made this rant, because after my experience with LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga, and the realization that their games had become watered down, it didn't occur to me until now, that LEGO had really lost the magic it once had. The ships that are even portrayed in that game are of recent times, and they are so fucking small, implying that LEGO sets have indeed become smaller. Look at the Millennium Falcon in that game, and compare it to the 2011 Millennium Falcon or the 2015 Millennium Falcon. You might as well make it small like the very first Millennium Falcon that came out back in the late 90s/early 00s. 

LEGO really needs some remodeling, and whoever is making these small ass fucking sets needs to be fuckin' fired. This is really concerning, and I feel sorry for anybody that have to grow up with these sets. They're clearly missing out on the great sets in the past that we grew up with. The 2000s, like anything else, was the best decade, period... Best decade for music, best decade for games, best decade for movies, and especially the best decade for LEGO. I was a veteran who grew up seeing these sets as a kid, who had wanted these sets so fucking badly, but because I'm one of the unlucky ones who had to have those parents who rarely bought toys for their kids, I unfortunately missed out, but even at that, at least I am still grateful to have grown up in a decade that brought me and many other Gen Z kids, great and memorable, iconic sets for years to come. I easily prefer the era of simplicity, mixed with the vastness of the sets themselves as so much effort were put into them, over this watered down, kids meal garbage, that might as well be a fucking Duplo set that's being put out today. I know LEGO is for kids, but in a way, it was also appealing to adults too, and it was that reason why LEGO meant and still mean near and dear to my heart, for many years to come. And that is my take on the state that LEGO, as a company, is in right now...

That is all.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Episode 13: The Legacy

ㅤ THE LEGACY ㅤ And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven. -Luke 10:18 KJV FOREWORD: The following post contains a very long story and documentary of my early life, my aspirations, how this forum was created, and my downfall, but mostly my personal life. This post may not be as accurate and some parts of the stories may have some discrepancies throughout the story, due to the fact that all of this is within a 10 year timespan, and I can’t recall every single thing that happened in my life, so I’m just jotting down everything that I remember so far. Some other parts of the story were intentionally altered however for the purpose of privacy, so please take that with a grain of salt.   If you do not feel like reading all of this, then I’d suggest that you scroll all the way to the bottom of this page and read the “TL:DR”, statement highlighted in red or click the j

Blog Episode 7: Fuck Quora

       These fucking, street shitting motherfuckers!           I swear to fucking god, if I see one more fucking google result from this fucking site, i'm going to rip my fucking hair out. Every time I type something in google and see this shitty fucking goddamn motherfucking cocksucking donkeydick licking, dickfucker, dick motherfucking fuck fucker piece of fucking shit, my brain cells begins to die slowly, one by fucking one.           Every single fucking time I search something on fucking google or some other fucking search engine, this fucking gay ass fucking site pops up and i'm getting so fucking sick and tired of this fucking site! It's literally everywhere like fucking cancer, and it never stops! It's like shoving a fucking dildo (unknowingly with aids) up your fucking ass, and in the fucking end, you get ten different fucking diseases! Fuck! I've fucking had it. I'm driven to fucking insanity. And I don't care what you motherfucking cunts

Blog Episode 29: Fucking Spics Have Ruined Everything (Fandoms)

Do you remember a couple years back when I made a rant about a fucking group of people, called fuckin' "spics"? Well here is Vol. 2 of this shit, the fucking sequel. My blood is fucking boiling from these fucking cockroaches that roam this fucking earth, just seeing and thinking about their fucking faces makes me want to punch their overweight mexoids into fucking oblivion. But I digress, let's talk about fandoms and how so far, burning bridges with every fandom that I have come in contact with had and still has become my only option. Do you remember the example I gave with my grievance of Sonic The Hedgehog? You know, the fandom that I wanted to give a chance, because back then I was a Nintendo fan, I wanted to try something new and just wanted to dip my toes into Sega's waters? Well, that soon backfired because half of the fucking fandom is ruined by these fucking spics. These fucking taco munching assholes that speak "jajajajajajaja el sinco muchos lachas